LOW FAT BANANA AND OAT BREAKFAST MUFFINS
This recipe makes 12 muffins
– 200g plain flour
– 80g porridge oats
– 100g caster sugar
– 2 teaspoons (tsp) of baking powder
– 1 teaspoon (tsp) of bicarbonate of soda
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– 1 egg
– 175ml milk
– 75ml vegetable oil
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 250g mashed bananas
1. Preheat the oven at 220C / Gas 6
2. Mix together all the dry ingredients – flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt
3. In a large bow, whisk the egg lightly. Stir in the oil, vanilla and milk. Add the mashed banana and stir.
4. To the mix stir in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Divide the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 18-20 minutes.
– First time round I forgot to add the vanilla, however after tasting them I don’t think you need it so I now never add it.
– The first time round I decided to scatter some porridge oats on the top of the muffin mix before putting them in the oven.
– The next time I made the muffins I decided to add mixed seeds throughout the muffin and on the top with the oats.
– I reduced the amount of sugar I used by using more very ripe bananas (they are sweeter) and reduced the liquid.
– At the time of making these we had no vegetable oil so I used Rapeseed oil, which apparently is healthier.
*The next time I make the muffins I am going to try using wholemeal flour rather than plain flour to make it healthier*
THIS RECIPE CAN BE MADE DAIRY FREE BY ADDING A MILK SUBSITUTE OR TRY REMOVING IT