It’s Tuesday, it’s Shrove Tuesday, it’s pancake day and I have all the info you need to make the perfect pancake, whether you want the thick American style or the super thin crepe!
THE RECIPE FOR CREPES
– 110g plain flour
– a pinch of salt
– 2 large eggs
– 200ml milk (mixed together with) 75ml water
– 2 tbsp melted butter
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it.
3. Start to whisk in the eggs and incorporate the flour from around the edges.
4. Start to gradually add the milk and water mixture (ignore any lumps because they will gradually disappear).
5. When all the liquid has been added slide a rubber spatula around the edge of the bowl to make sure you have got all of the mix from the side of the bowl and then whisk again until your batter is the consistency of smooth cream.
6. When you are ready to cook, add the 2tbsp of melted butter to the batter and stir in.
7. Melt some butter in your frying pan (or you can spray some frylight) and add a ladleful of your batter depending on the size of the pan you are using (you may only need half the amount).
8. Swirl the batter around the pan until it thinly covers the base.
9. Flip it over when it starts to come away at the sides and cook until golden brown on each side.
10. Repeat this process until you have ran out of batter. Place your pancakes somewhere warm and separate them with layers of kitchen roll whilst you make the rest.
11. Serve as you like them . . .
THE RECIPE FOR AMERICAN STYLE PANCAKES
I halved my recipe and gave one mum so ended up with two, which are so filling! You can go for whatever topping you want, it doesn’t need to be mine, I also love bacon and syrup to go with the American style pancakes.
No excuses now, you have the recipe so go out and get the ingredients and make your pancakes from scratch this year, super easy and most definitely worth it!